Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Name Game

We kept Raiden's name a secret on my blog until after he was born. Not quite sure why but we did and he was affectionately titled Baby W until d-day. Raiden's name selection was tedious and never ending it felt like, even right up to the day he was born we were tinkering with possibly changing his middle name, we ended up sticking with our original name.

With Baby #2 we started picking girls names shortly after finding out we were pregnant. My husband was so convinced it was a girl that I think he not only convinced himself and me but also everyone else around us as well. When the she was discovered to be a he the best thing was that we had our name list from when we were expecting Raiden to go off of - Only a handful of names from that list stayed on for this name game of choosing our next son's name.

There was one name, always persistently on our higher up choices, always mentioned when people asked for what names we were thinking of, and one that is close to our hearts. Mr. W and I were married in Jamaica in June of 2012, it was an experience and trip that touched us in so many ways and stayed with us. Honoring that trip, our nuptials, and our love of Jamaica in general seemed natural for both of us. We thought of this name for Raiden but decided to go a different route, but 2 years later it is still something we love and the meaning behind it. This explains the first name.

The middle name, many would probably agree is a little 'out there.' While I don't think that the middle name is just free game for whatever crazy or oddity that strikes your fancy, I do think there is more room to play with the name. I mean the only people that use my middle name when addressing me, are occasionally my parents, my friend Amanda, and my husband jokingly every now and then. Raiden has my initials, RJ, and because of that I really wanted Mr. W to have more influence. He wanted something that paid homage to something that he held dear all through his childhood and life in general. Initially I wasn't just ecstatic about the idea, but I warmed up to it pretty quickly since it was something that really meat a lot to the husband. We wanted something distinctive - After considering how popular location names have become... No one said it couldn't be a fictional location.

So with that, I don't think anymore explanation is necessary, and I am sure 98% of my friends just scrolled to the bottom to see the name anyways...

Baby Williams #2 is named, so awesomely...


No comments:

Post a Comment